Setting up a Recycling Program at School
There are many ways a school can introduce a Recycling Program. Here are some suggestions:
- Ask students for their ideas. Hold a competition within the school
to encourage recycling.
- Have a school recycling program. Put separate, labelled containers
in all rooms for materials to be recycled - eg “clean white paper
to be recycled”, “clean white paper to be reused”, “aluminium cans”
and “plastic bottles”. Create a system where all these containers
are emptied regularly and taken to a collection point.
- Also have a school purchasing policy. Encourage the school office
to use recycled products like paper, stationery and plastic containers.
- Ask students to reduce their waste. Hold a school wide event like
a “garbage-free” lunch.
- Ask teachers to reduce their waste. Get the teachers to use a whiteboard
for messages and notices instead of sheets of paper.
- Develop a school policy. Set down practical guidelines and procedures
so recycling becomes easy.