Household Hazardous Waste
Most communities have a drop-off centre or regular drop-off days at
local council depots where residents can take their household hazardous
waste for disposal. Some common hazardous materials you might find
around your house are:
- In the bathroom – medicines, bathroom cleaners, nail polish and
mail polish remover
- In the toolshed – Paints and stains, paint thinner, varnishes and
- In the garden – Swimming pool chemicals, rat poison, fertilisers,
and weed killers.
- In the garage – Car batteries, battery acid, car wax, motor oil,
antifreeze and fuels like petrol, diesel and kerosene.
- Around the house – fluorescent light tubes, gas cylinders, mobile
phone batteries, smoke detectors and batteries.